Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wild Animal Dr. Jackson Branches Out

A few weeks ago I asked Jackson what he was going to be when he grows up. He answered the usual: "A wild animal doctor, that takes care of baby animals in Africa." Sometimes he mentions being in charge of the Los Angeles Zoo, the Santa Barbara Zoo, and the San Diego Zoo as well. Then I asked him what I do, now that I'm grown up. He said "a knitter/teacher." I asked him what daddy does and he said "a basketball player/builder." I told him that he can call me a "designer" too since I like to draw pictures of clothes on the computer, and that he can call daddy a "writer," because daddy writes a lot on the computer when he goes to work. He was fascinated that you could be a designer and a teacher and a knitter or a basketball player and a builder and a writer. He finally decided at the end of our chat that it would be OK for him to be a wild animal doctor that takes care of babies AND is in charge of the zoos AND is an ARTIST.

Now he is taking his artwork VERY seriously, and if Mikey tries to touch it he says: "you can't touch that - that's my WORK." He spends over an hour a day drawing on his doodle pad and loves to make animals out of foam paper. We have started to take pictures of his most impressive doodle pad renditions and I will post a little gallery after we have some more.

No comments: