Monday, July 14, 2008

What's a Twinkie?

Jackson drew a rounded rectangle with 3 circles in it and asked me: "What's this Mama?"
Me: "I dodn't know."
Jackson: "Wall-E gave it to his cockroach, and the cockroach went swimming in it."
Me: "Ah-hah! A Twinkie!"
Jackson: "What's a Twinkie?"
Me: "It's like a little cake with whipped cream in it."
Jackson: "Is it Junk food or a healthy snack?"
Me: "Definitely junk food. Next time we go to the store, I'll get one for you to try."

Jackson wanted to know why Wall-E gave the roach Twinkies. I told him that that was the only food that survived in the future.

The next day, we went to the store, and I got 4 Twinkies. As luck would have it, Liam came over that night, recognized them from the movie, and had never had one before either.

Charlotte, now quite mobile, quickly grabbed the one that I opened for Mikey and shoved it into her mouth. I reluctantly gave the one that I was saving to share with Jeff to Mikey.

All 4 kids were thrilled with their new discovery, and totally understood why the cockroach would want to swim in the creamy filling. Seeing them having so much fun made up for the guilt of giving them junk, the messy creamy aftermath, and not getting to have one myself!

No comments: