Monday, June 2, 2008

Jackson and the Joy of Reading

During the last month or so Jackson has been putting a lot of effort into learning how to read and how to spell. We love it and we love watching him discover new things.

We have run into a little trouble here and there. I can no longer talk about a tentative "Z-O-O" trip with someone without him asking "When are we going to the Zoo?" Also he now likes to label all of his doodle pad drawings and gets angry if we can't help him sound out the word exactly when he wants us to. It doesn't matter if we are in the bathroom or on the phone, or driving through a busy intersection.

The question that caught me off guard more than anything though, came today when we were on our way to pick up some lunch. I was driving down Los Feliz Blvd. trying to think of a way to kill 4 hours while the house was being cleaned. We were stopped at a light next to a huge fountain, a playground, and a bus stop. Jackson asks: "Mom, what does S-E-X spell?" It was lucky that I already was stopped - I could have hit someone! Not ready to get into it with him, I quickly said I didn't know what he was asking me and asked him if he wanted to have a picnic at the great playground over there. Luckily he loves picnics and playgrounds and completely forgot about the "Sex and the City" movie poster on the bus stop. What am I going to say next time we pass that corner?

No comments: