Wednesday, May 20, 2009

No Zebras or Sisters, Please

Mikey: Will I grow up to be a man like daddy?
Mom: Yes.
Mikey: Can I be Charlotte's uncle so I can carry her and put her in her crib?
Mom: No. When you're grown up like an uncle, Charlotte will be grown up like me.
Mikey: Oh. When I am grown up and Charlotte will be a mommy, can I marry her? Then she can have babies and i can be a daddy.
Mom: Uh, uh, no. Uh...

At this point, my friend Joanna said, "Sounds like it's time to go fishing!" Why? "So he can have 'The Talk' with dad."

Enter dad. We recapped the conversation to this point, and it kept going.

Jackson: But why?
Dad: You're not supposed to marry sisters.
Jackson: But why?
Mikey: But I want to marry Charlotte.
Dad: Because if you do, your babies will be funny-looking. They'll have extra noses. Or extra fingers. Or extra toes.
Jackson (laughing): What?
Mom: We only marry people outside of our family.
Jackson: Charlotte's going to marry Lukas?
Mom: Sure.
Dad: But they can't be in our family.
Jackson: And I can marry Natalie... or a zebra!
Dad: They have to be human.
Mikey: I'm still going to marry Charlotte.
Dad: They have to be not in our family and human. That's all we ask.
Mikey: I love lions! I love lions!

We said goodnight, not sure if they were really on board with the rules. Judging by Jackson's description of his half-zebra children, I'd guess not.

1 comment:

Holly said...

This is so funny! I love that both boys were in on that conversation! That's awesome you recorded it too. That story will just get funnier as they grow up!