Saturday, February 14, 2009

Candle-Lit Dinner for 5?

Our family has been battling the flu for 2 weeks now. First Mikey got it, then Jackson, then Charlotte, and now me. My fever struck last Wednesday right after my knitting class and spiked pretty quickly. Jeff took the next 2 days off of work to watch the kids while I hibernated.

Today my fever was down to 99.5, so it was time to rejoin the land of the living. I took the morning Charlie duty so that Jeff could catch up a little, and decided it was time for some real food. I think the day before I had a piece of celery and a few bites of pizza.

It's still very strange to me that I love to make breakfast foods so much, especially since I won't eat most of it. It's along the lines of my fascination with watching cooking shows about lobster and rack of lamb.

Today we had sausage, heart-shaped "Ace in the Hole" (eggs in toasted bread), and home fries. I decided to try something new - pink pancakes! They turned out to be a lovely shade of hot pink inside and made great valentines. (Editor's note -- we all loved them, and the kids especially thought they were AMAZING. -- Jeff)


We even had some strawberries in the fridge (hard to keep them around with Mikey and Jackson in the house), so I made some strawberry syrup as well. I even managed to eat a few!

Later, after taking a bunch of cold medicine and pain killers, we thought we could all use a few hours out of the house. We went to a VERY ROMANTIC movie: "Paul Blart - Mall Cop." Our first choice was sold out, but the kids LOVED IT. It was quite funny, and the music was a blast from the past. I almost forgot my tummy ache for a while.

By the way Charlotte's hair now fits in pig tails - "HOLLA!"

Anyway, I was in no condition to go out tonight, and honestly I don't especially like to go out on Valentine's night. I hate the crowds and the price fix menus. After a long nap, Mikey anounced that they needed to go to the store to buy me som "Balemstime Day" flowers. Jeff was going to make dinner and was planning on saying he was going out to pick up some ingredients. Mikey is great at spilling the beans.

I ended up making Chicken Mole Poblano while Jeff wrangled the kids and surprised me with a beautifully set candle-lit dinner table set for 5. When I brought the food out Mikey was bouncing in his chair saying "FANCY DINNER, FANCY DINNER!!!" They were very excited to be eating off of the good plates and drinking blood-orange soda out of tiny cordial glasses. We ended dinner singing a few rounds of "Happy Valentines to You!" while the kids blew out the candlesticks and clapped. I must say it wasn't the most typical romantic candle-lit Valentine's dinner, but I was with the 4 people that I love most in the world, so how could I have spent my evening any better? We may have to do this every year. . . minus the flu.

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Minus the flu, the day sounded great! Sorry you're all so sick! We've missed you!